The Cantamerlo’s villa (the Singing Blackbird) receives its name by a fresco of the singing bird painted on the vault of the tower. It was in the past the vicarage of San Giovanni and Pietro in Borgo Nuovo. Was sold in 1860 by the parish priest Don Giovanni Maria Vignolo to the lawyer and poet Norberto Rosa of Avigliana. Unfortunately, he had little time to enjoy his new acquisition as he suddenly died in 1862.
Via Norberto Rosa, 2
10051 Avigliana (TO)
The estate, with its park built on the rocky slopes around the castle, is a classical example of early Middle Ages residence, rebuilt and developed around the tower and courtyard. Inside, some rooms, like the armoury next to the entrance hall, the delegation room and the throne room offer clear examples of medieval furnishing and decorations. Of particular value is a Roman Stele, representing a prisoner and located in the hall, dated the first half of the 2nd century and believed to be, according to Natalino Bartolomasi, a sculpture of the victory of Settimo Severio over Clodio Albino.
It was placed in the residence in 1859, by father Capuchin Placido Bacco, who discovered it during archaeological escavations for Roman remains in the suburbs of Malano, Avigliana